A Message From Sheriff Larry R. Smith
Citizens of Smith County,
On January 1, 2013, I proudly took an oath to protect you and to uphold the Constitutions of the United States of America and of the State of Texas.
The Holy Bible and the Constitutions of the United States of America and Texas are the guides I follow to live my life and to enforce the law.
The Smith County Sheriff's Office belongs to you. I am simply the steward in whom you have placed your trust to run this office. I encourage you to use this website and our Facebook and Twitter accounts to communicate with my staff and with me.
I have set a very high standard of professional ethics and law enforcement for your Sheriff’s Office. No one should be above the law in Smith County, Texas. I will not look the other way if any member of my staff breaks the law. My commanders have undergone training in the US Constitution, including the Bill of Rights. Corruption and official oppression that run rampant in some areas will not establish roots and grow in Smith County as long as I am your sheriff.
We are sending a loud and clear message that we do not tolerate drug dealers and other criminals in our area. Because I-20 is a major drug and human smuggling route for cartels and transnational gangs, Smith County feels the effects of a dangerous and wide-open southern border and is rated by the Texas Department of Public Safety at the same risk level as many border counties.
What are we doing about it? For the past two years, I have engaged instructors to conduct specialized training for local law enforcement and for the public. The 2013 training focused on the heinous crime of human trafficking, which exploits women and under-aged girls and boys for sex trade and cheap labor profits. Last year’s training raised awareness on the dangerous cartels and transnational gangs at work in Texas. The 2017 training will focus on new and cutting edge technology already being utilized to assist the Smith County Sheriff's Office in solving crime and in making the citizens of Smith County safer. Pretending these challenges don’t exist for the sake of papering over the problem would put you and my officers at risk. Be assured that I will continue to take a pro-active stance to raise public awareness about these emerging threats and will continue to work diligently with other law enforcement agencies to apprehend these criminals and work for their prosecution and punishment.
With your help, we can and will make Smith County the premier Texas county others look to as a place where folks expect to live happy and safe lives. Together, we will make Smith County the best place to raise a family, grow a business and retire.
Please know that my staff and I are here to serve you, and as long as I am your Sheriff, it will remain that way. Thank you for the honor and privilege of allowing me to serve you.
Sheriff Larry R. Smith
Smith County, Texas
It is the mission of the Smith County Sheriff's Office to serve the citizens and visitors of Smith County by providing professional and ethical law enforcement, detention and court security that protects and preserves the Constitutional Rights of the people and mandates the fair and impartial enforcement of the law.
The vision for the Smith County Sheriff’s Office is to remain one of the safest and most enjoyable places to live, visit, work and raise a family in the State of Texas and in the nation. For the Smith County Sheriff's Office to be a leader in public safety; this is achieved through innovation, technology and community partnerships. The Smith County Sheriff's Office strives to integrate the concepts of community policing with the community and achieve their vision through collaborative problem solving.
The men and women of the Smith County Sheriff's Office, pledge to instill their core values in every aspect of service to the Smith County community.
The core values are:
- HONOR - Honor the mission entrusted to the Smith County Sheriff's Office by preserving and protecting the citizens of Smith County and the public at large.
- INTEGRITY - Pledge to maintain a strong sense of honesty, morality, goodness, and ethical character.
- PROFESSIONALISM - Smith County Sheriff's Office personnel are skilled in the performance of their duties and governed by the code of ethics that demands integrity by word or by act publically and privately, the allegiance to our oath of office and the laws that govern our nation.
- EXCELLENCE - Quality through continuous improvement.
- FAIRNESS - Treat all people impartially, with consideration and compassion. The Smith County Sheriff's Office is equally responsive to their employees and the community they serve.
- TRUST - Value and nurture the trust earned through honesty and excellence in service. Pledge to treat those citizens of Smith County with courtesy, respect, dignity, and compassion to achieve that trust.